Sunday, May 26, 2013

Conversations with God in the Shower and How I'm Answering the Call!

My whole life I wanted to become a teacher.  If you've been reading along with me, or you've checked out my "about me" page, you already know this.  It was just something I knew I would become.

When I became a public school teacher, I felt at home.  I was driven to succeed.  I would do anything I could to do my best.  I loved my students like they were my own!  I was passionate about it!  I put my all into it.  It was awesome!

About six years into teaching, I could no longer ignore the fact that I felt sick a lot of the time.  I would get headaches most days of the week.  I would get a cold or cough that would linger for weeks on end.  When it would finally go away, I'd have a healthy week or two and then I'd get sick again.  I felt exhausted.  I would come home and sit down and feel like I couldn't move.  I was bloated all the time.  I was feeling anxious, tense, and stressed.

I remember this one Friday, I felt especially stressed.  I had a million things going on.  Work was getting so stressful, morale was low.  People were feeling strained with all of the changes going on in the system;  new tests and testing procedures, budget cuts, difficulties with the children, difficulty with the lack of support from parents, tension between the staff and administration.  It was getting to be too much!  I felt completely overwhelmed with negativity!

I hopped in the shower to wash the week away.  I started thinking about everything and had a really scary realization, I wasn't happy anymore.  But how could that BE?  I love my kids!  I love teaching!  I  panicked.  What the hell am I going to do now?  I've always wanted this!  This was always my dream!  How could it not be working anymore?   Why doesn't it feel good anymore?  I am NO QUITTER!!!!   But this can't be what my life feels like forever!  I don't even have my own kids yet!  How am I going to keep this up and make my other dreams come true too?

I asked God, what am I doing?   Is this the way I'm supposed to feel for the rest of my life?  Why doesn't it feel right anymore?  What am I supposed to be doing?  Please, please help me.  I started sobbing.

I felt the rush of everything coming out of me.  I felt the release.  I felt the surrender.  I let it all come out through my tears.  I cried for a while and kept asking, what am I gonna do?  What am I supposed to do?

Suddenly a thought popped into my head.  You need to talk to people about God.  You need to tell people about God.  I was so confused.  I thought, what???  Trust me, I'm no nun!  I'm not the type to quote the bible!  I don't really want to teach in a Catholic school! (because I heard they get paid less)  How am I supposed to be doing that?  Talking about God?  What does that mean?

I still think it's funny that my first thought was "nun."  I guess growing up Catholic, I associated a nun with a woman who has devoted her life to talking about God.  And for some reason, that is what I feel like my message was.  That not only would I just devote an hour a week at church to God, but that I was somehow supposed to devote my daily living to God and to share that with others.  I still had no idea what this meant for me and what I was supposed to do next.

Things didn't appear to change drastically in the moment, but I do recognize this as a giant shift in my life.  I began to see myself more as a leader and one who wanted to create change.  I finished my master's degree and took a job as a teacher consultant.  It was a great fit for two years and then once again, it was time for a change.  I had my first daughter, quit my job, and stayed home to care for my new baby.  This is when I really got to know God.

Having a baby helped me to understand the gift of life.  Slowing down my life to care for her, be with her, and watch her develop, was such a great joy!  For the first time EVER I finally understood what living in the moment really meant.  And all that stuff about NOW is all we ever really have?  I finally got it!  I didn't always "get it" and I still don't live like this always, but I was able to slow down enough to feel it and be conscious of it several times throughout the day.  I felt like I was finally really living my life!  I started reading more about how to create the kind of life I really wanted and develop myself so I could actually do it!

At the same time, things were extremely difficult!  Remember how I quit my job?  Ya, well that was spontaneous and even though it was something I always wanted, we weren't prepared to live on one income.  In fact, we were grossly under-prepared.  I used to smile on the outside but cringe on the inside when people would say, "Oh, you're SO LUCKY you get to do that!  We could NEVER do it because we couldn't afford it!"  I wondered what they would think of us if they knew the behind the scenes story.  We're crazy?  Stupid?  Making a mistake?  SUPER CRAZY??  Need counseling???  I don't know, but what I do know is, it was FAITH that got us through it and it is still FAITH that gets us through!!

Since I quit my job 6 years ago, I've tried out many things.  I've done contractual work as a consultant.  I've been a mystery shopper.  I tried being a jewelry maker.  I tried out photography.  I've been a skin care/cosmetics demonstrator.  I thought about becoming a personal trainer or a group fitness instructor.  I've thought about becoming a yoga instructor.

Nothing ever felt quite right until I did my first retreat for women.  Since I had been a consultant and provided workshops for teachers, I felt like having a retreat was an easy transition.  It was called "Live a Life You Love" and it was magical!  Here I got to gather women together and remind them to value themselves, take good care of themselves, dream, love, have faith, and be happy!  It was my first experience talking to people about God and the power of creating the life you really want!  It felt so right!  I came home that day and was flying!  In fact, I was flying for about a week afterwards!  I felt the power of empowering and inspiring others!  I knew I wanted more!

Since then, I had another baby, moved across the country, moved into my dream home, and enjoy good health!  I started this blog, ran a half-marathon, and started my own coaching business called BE. Inspired Coaching.  After immersing myself in self development since my pregnancy with my first daughter, being a life coach gives me the opportunity to share with others all that I've learned over the years.  I get to talk about God, having a higher purpose, following your heart, listening to your intuition, rising to the challenge, giving yourself a break, and knowing that you are ALWAYS loved and NEVER alone!   I get to help myself and others get organized, make a flexible plan, accomplish their goals and  HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THEIR LIVES!  I get to live a healthy life that feels good to me and encourage others to live a healthy, inspired life!



As a coach, I wanted to do something to get more people involved and decided to do an exercise challenge this past April.  Through this challenge, not only did I connect with some awesome people who saw real results in just 30 days, but I also found a piece that was missing from my coaching...health and fitness.  I want to bring inspired spiritual messages to people AND I also know that when your body is healthy, strong and fit, you can do amazing things!  I know that when I make it through a physical challenge like teaching myself how to run long distances, I feel a sense of accomplishment that is impossible to measure!  It's such an amazing feeling!  When you learn you can do more than you thought, you want to keep doing more!  The trick is to learn what the "right" things are for you!  This is why becoming a Beachbody coach felt like exactly the right fit!  Now I get to inspire people to be their best selves; body, mind, and spirit!  I get to teach.  I get to listen.  I get to support.  I get to help people make their dreams come true and do things they never thought possible!  I'm aligned with people who are positive and want to do great things in their lives!  Now that IS lucky!  :)

It took about 9 years after that conversation with God in the shower of trying new things and taking steps along the path, but now that I'm here I feel like I'm home!  This feels right!  This is what I'm supposed to be doing right now!  Is this it, forever and ever, Amen?  No.  I know I want even more!  I know I want to publish a book someday.  I know I want to be a public figure somehow.  I know I want to give back in a BIG way.  I don't know how or when or what this is all gonna look like but one thing I know for sure, I can do it!  I have faith!  I've learned to trust the process.  I believe in my dreams!  I may slip once in a while, but I know the truth.  God is good and our dreams are real.  They are on purpose to remind us there are limitless opportunities!  Listen to your heart and you will know!  And if you ever need any help with this, please let me know!  You know I'd love to help you!  :)

Lots and Lots of Love to You!
~Kristie

P.S. I don't blog as often as I would like but I make regular, daily posts on my facebook page.  Follow me at www.facebook.com/BE.InspiredCoaching.  I'd love to see you there!  :)

P.S.S. Don't miss out!  I will begin the 30 Day BE. Inspired Exercise Challenge on June 1st!  You can sign up here on the sidebar of my blog.  I'm also starting a Beachbody Challenge on June 10th!  Email me at kristie.ignash@gmail.com for more information!











2 comments:

  1. wow!! you continue to inspire, and amaze me! Thank you for sharing this honest, story!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kim! You inspire me Mama! I'm so lucky to have you in my life!! :)

      Delete